Early and Recent Modern Era Cultural Relics

  • offcial website of Beijing Expo 2019  2017-Sep-15 12:56:40

In Jiangzhuang Town, there are three early and recent modern era relics and typical architecture of immovable relics, accounting for 10% of the Town’s immovable relics. All of these are graves of revolutionary martyrs. They are all located in open country and are under District-level protection provided by the civil affairs offices and relic protection authorities.

1.Guoshuyuan Monument to Revolutionary Martyrs

The Guoshuyuan Monument to Revolutionary Martyrs and the graves are located 300 meters south of Guoshuyuan Village. Its geographic coordinates are east longitude 116°06′08.0″ and north latitude 40°25′38.2″ and it has an elevation of 608 meters.

Guoshuyuan Monument to Revolutionary Martyrs

The monument is situated on a hillside, surrounded by pines and cypresses. To the south of the monument, there are 13 graves, lined with brick walls. The graves occupy an area of about 450 square meters. The monument was set up to remember the 13 martyrs from the Regiment No. 22 of the Independent Division No. 2 of the People’s Liberation Army (PLA)’s Hebei-Rehe-Chahar Military Area. The monument measures 2.7 meters in height, 1.44 meters in width and 0.15 meters in thickness. The cement foundation is 1.9 meters in length and 1.1 meters in width.

In November 1947, the Regiment No. 22 of the Independent Division No. 2 of the People’s Liberation Army (PLA)’s Hebei-Rehe-Chahar Military Area fought with the PLA’s North China troops to annihilate Kuominang troops along a rail line. Their operations were successful. More than 500 troops of the KMT’s No. 4 Battalion of No. 101 Division were wiped out at the eastern foot of the Yuhuang Mountain near Laojuntang. When the PLA troops moved on, the bodies of 13 martyrs were handed over to local militiamen in Guoshuyuan for burials. During the Qingming Festival of 1966, villagers in Guoshuyuan Village, Jingzhuang Township, who hoped to remember these heroic deeds and great achievements, as well as carry on their unfulfilled wishes and educate later generations, moved the bodies buried near a stone wall to the hillside martyrs cemetery and set up a monument. The tombstone was originally a stone tablet from a Buddhist temple. About one-third of the original text has been retained, with the words Da Ming Wan Li, or Wanli Reign (1573-1620) of the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), inscribed on the stone. No names of the martyrs were left on the stone tablet after it was used as tombstone for the new cemetery. The top of the tombstone is round in shape. The text “Revolutionary Martyrs are Immortal” was inscribed on the front side, with a five-pointed star in the top. The tombstone framed in a pavilion is well preserved. In 1995, it was named a District-level relic site. It is now under the daily management of Guoshuyuan Village’s village committee.

2.Yaowan Monument to Revolutionary Martyrs

The Yaowan Monument to Revolutionary Martyrs is located 1.3 kilometers west of Yaowan Village. Its geographic coordinates are east longitude 116°04′10.1″ and north latitude 40°23′56.9″ and it has an elevation of 596 meters.

Yaowan Monument to Revolutionary Martyrs

The monument surrounded by mountains on three sides has pines and cypresses planted around it. The monument consists of a foundation and a monument. It is 1.2 meters tall, 1.25 meters long and 1.45 meters wide. It occupies an area of 3.7 square meters. The monument measures 2 meters in height, 0.77 meters in width and 0.52 meters in thickness. The monument was set up to commemorate Xu Zhifu, Changping-Yanqing Joint County’s first Party secretary, Hu Ying, the Town’s first magistrate, and Cheng Yongzhong, a messenger, who died fighting against Japanese troops. The monument is a brick structure, with an inscription by Duan Yihai, Yanqing’s former Party secretary: “Martyrs write the history, we uphold the red flag.”

In late May 1940, the Japanese army and its Chinese puppet troops raided the Changping-Yanqing region, as part of their the policy of “burn all, kill all, loot all”, and repeatedly searched the mountains. However, the Party cadres and the masses in the region did not submit to the enemies, and instead fought together bravely. In the morning of August 28, 1940, Hu Ying and Xu Zhifu were found by the enemies, who then set up machine guns to shoot them. After they died, Cheng Yongzhong, who had broken his leg, continued to fight until he was killed by the enemy. After the enemy was informed that Hu Ying was the county magistrate, they cut off his head and took it away.

To commemorate the martyrs and inspire later generations in their endeavors in new historical periods, the People’s Government of Yanqing County inaugurated a monument on April 4, 1984 on the site where the martyrs had been buried — the location of the Yaowan battle. Because of its great historical significance and value for preservation, it was named a District-level relic site in 1993. The Yaowan Village Committee of Jiangzhuang Town is responsible for day-to-day administration of the monument. The monument is in good repair.

3.A Monument to Heroines Jia Guizhen and Han Guizhi

A Monument to Heroines is located 1.2 kilometers southwest of Liugou Village. Its geographic coordinates are east longitude 116°06′03.9″ and north latitude 40°26′01.2″ and it has an elevation of 561 meters.

A Monument to Heroines Jia Guizhen and Han Guizhi

The monument borders a road and faces the Baihenan Canal. Pines and cypresses are planted on the two sides of the monument. The monument is 3.47 meters high and consists of a head, a body and a foundation. The head measures 0.3 meters in height, 0.5 meters in width and 0.25 meters in thickness. The body measures 1.8 meters in height, 0.76 meters in width and 0.28 meters in thickness. The foundation, shaped like a Buddhist diamond seat, is 1.37 meters high. The south side has a relic protection plate on it. The monument in enclosed by a lattice wall on four sides. The wall is 0.5 meters high, 3.8 meters long and 3.4 meters wide. The gate opens on the south side.

The monument was set up to commemorate Jia Guizhen and Han Guizhi. During the Anti-Japanese War, Jia Guizhen was director of the Liugou village branch of the Association of Women for National Salvation and Han Guizhi was a committee member. They mobilized the masses in their refusal to give up food and pay taxes, their resistance against the regime of Japanese army and its Chinese puppet troops and their participation in land reforms. During the War of Liberation, they made uniforms for troops, cared for injured soldiers and supported the war effort. In late 1947, they were captured and put into prison by the enemy, who tortured them in an effort to have them agree to surrender. However, they refused. In early 1948, the two heroines, who at the time were both younger than 30, died martyr’s deaths. In remembrance of their heroic deeds and in an effort to promote education of present-day people and future generations, the Women's Federation of Yanqing County, the Party Committee and the Government of Jingzhuang Village built a monument in 1990 near the Baihe Trunk Canal in Pingguoyuan, south of Liugou Village. Zhou Jiting, a former county Party secretary, inscribed the text of “Long Live the Memory of Heroines in the Mind of the People” on the tombstone. In 1995, it was named a District-level relic protection site. It is now in good repair.

/data/attachement/jpg/site1000/20170915/c03fd54abb761b25a3f02b.jpg